[ILUG-BOM] Seek advice to quit Windows

Roshan d_rosh2001@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 17 09:07:46 IST 2007

--- Varadarajan V wrote:
> Hi,

Hello

> I wish to move into linux
> administration and personally I hate microsoft's way
> of working.

Two good websites
1. http://www.debianadmin.com/
2. http://www.samag.com/

> To work in windows I need to keep myself trained in
> windows and for that
> i have to use windows. That goes into a vicious
> circle. I find myself locked
> I am sure I would be considered as a newbie (I am
> one) in  the linux world
> and I see jobs are mostly for the experienced in the
> linux administration.

The above two websites should help you to some extent.

Find some more help here:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/

There's a Oreilly book too
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linag2/book/index.html

> What should I do to make the switch? I need your
> suggestions.

I too would suggest, Ubuntu. If you don't have an
internet connection (or are using dial up connection),
I would recommend Mandriva (known to work /almost/
without problems) to begin with. Once you are
familiar, you can try out others. If you wish to not
disturb your existing setup, you can try out the
Ubuntu LIVE CD / Knoppix LIVE CD.

--
FSF-India Fellow Associate
http://www.gnu.org.in