[ILUG-BOM] Brl-Cad Initial Impressions

Chetan S cshring@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jan 16 14:55:16 IST 2007

On 1/16/07, Sachin G Nambiar <bomlug at snambiar.com> wrote:
> Initial impressions:
> The interface lacks polish. Digging deeper, i found that you require to
> actually remember loads of small commands to do anything. So many
> commands. Almost everything is done from the command line. That being said
> it's not really hard. Infact the pdf documentation makes things pretty
> easy. It uses vi and gives you the option for emacs. It stores all files
> ina databse which has to be defined in advance. Everthing else(shapes
> textures etc.) goes directly in real time into this file.
>
> And with my limited(read zero) knowledge of any CAD software, i'll say
> this thing works really well. Based on the documentation and a few
> instances of "modern art" by yours truly using the documentation; i'll say
> this thing can really do stuff. You can create your own custom primitive
> shapes. Using the documentation i could build a radio, cone and wrap it
> with shiny stuff etc. But everything through the command line.

An engineer who is into some serious drawing will probably like the
cli interface if they provide perfect control on the primitives.

I don't use cad however, from my experience cad software soon get into
cli for data input.  What would be important would be macros and
scripting support.

Oh and the *real* e-engineer would use c and open-gl  for his
presentations :D  (just kidding)

> funny:
> Very military, has "Dismiss" for cancel.
Nice review !  liked the funny bit  :)

regards