[ILUG-BOM] Opensource for a Small Manufacturing unit

Parthan parth.technofreak@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jan 15 11:40:11 IST 2007

Sachin G Nambiar wrote:
 > > Because by doing so,
 > > he is infringing on the record labels copyright. Thats what
copyrights &
 > > patents are for! To prevent misuse and to protect the
 > > originator/creator.[point 2]

That's why we have been saying patents are *not good*. A song is a way
of expressing your feelings, its not a property or an innovation, its a
feeling and you want to convey your feelings to others. If you dont want
it to be distributable, why you ever release it as a music album ? Ya, I
agree you want to make money out of it, but its also true that people
think that you ask more money than what they feel its all worth of and
hence piracy.

 > > When i buy a software i have a right to use it in any way i wish. But
 > > when i distribute it as if it were my own(even with modifications),
iam
 > > basically building upon the millions(possibly) spent by the creator in
 > > developing, market research for usability and marketing.

This is were you are terribly mistaken the whole idea, even a
practically proven fact! When you give your software to some one,

1. he uses it
2. If he feels it good in doing his job,
a. he suggests the same to his friends. But, his friends also wish to
test is themselves so he needs to *distribute*.
b. he thinks he can help you in improving the software still better, so
he contributes
3. He find some bugs in the software and if he is skilled, gets you some
patches so your software becomes less buggy. Hence, when he
shares/distributes the software with his friends, more eyes are looking
into the software and hence more bugs get *solved* and your software
improves.
4. So, its not the only user you gave your software to, but its 10 and
100s of others who voluntarily involve themselves in improving *your*
software, just because they like it and think it is useful than others.

You need not spend *millions* in this manner to make your software reach
high quality, feature richness or get a huge user base. And, a developer
who has the skill to create software, and if he is indeed really
interested in helping the community with good quality software, will
indeed follow the FOSS philosophy we all stand for and not the one which
you have misunderstood.

The creator has
 > > every right to stop me from distributing the software because as a
 > > creator he/she has every right to control who gets the software and
who
 > > does not!

Please understand the following

1. Software is knowledge, and hence should be characterized with
free-flow, i.e. nothing should prevent it from reaching a user.
2. Software is just a idea made into action. Every person on this earth
can have the same idea and find a means of making it do what it is
intended to. Nobody owns knowledge or an idea, its all damn stupid if
you say *I own an idea*.
3. If you say only the *creator* has the right to give the software to
some one and he controls who gets the software and who do not, then that
*creator* is going to mess himself to his own end.

 > > The creator likes the society as a whole to be benefited thats why he
 > > made the software, but not at his expense! If he does not it's a
different
 > > matter. But saying that he should release as distributable is
infringing
 > > upon his moral right!(this is indirectly implied when you dub his
 > > software as not free (as in freedom))

If he has truly written something for the benefit of the community then
why say 'he decides who uses the *thing* and who doesn't'. If he is
really society conscious then its the *society* that should decide
whether to use his *thing* or not. And this will occur when the society
is free enough to share and test your *thing*.

 > > If FOSS philosphy says explicitly that every software should be freely
 > > distributable, then it is infringing upon the fundamental right of the
 > > creator.

If the software is not freely distributable, then its *useless*. If the
farmer says he only can determine who eats the rice grown in his field,
all his grains are going to rot!

If the creator wishes it to be distributed then it's fine. But
 > > he should have his say. I can choose to modify a particular software
 > > and sell it under a different license.

Selling is not a problem at all, sharing/distribution is the question
you are raising against! Yes, i agree who writes the software has the
right to do whatever he wants with it, but he has no right to prevent
distribution of the software and still want it to call it as *free
software*, let him call it as proprietary software, we have nothing
against him then.

It's a fundamental moral infringement upon the
 > > creators right. You being able to use a distributable software is your
 > > privilege not your right!

LOL! Moral being will share their resources with one another and help
for improvement and betterment of one another. Not prevent the freedom
of free knowledge just because he losses an additional $$. If you call
something as *free software* then free distribution becomes a right. It
actually causes the software to reach more users, get more contribution,
see much more improvement in quality and hence reach higher heights!

If you do not understand or go along with our ideologies of sharing
software as knowledge, then our mailing list is not the place to express
your ideologies which can not be accepted by us. We agree to the human's
right to make money, but we can not accept it or implement it in our way of
life.

--
With Regards

Parthan (TechnoFreak)