[ILUG-BOM] Linux compatible motherboards.

Aseem Rane aseemrane@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Sep 24 10:47:26 IST 2006

On 9/24/06, Rony <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Could you provide a small list of motherboard models that you
> have been using on desktop/workstation systems running linux, for the
> last 6 months?

I have MSI K8NGM2 with AMD 64 3000+ and 1GB RAM
Onboard Nvidia card detected by Knoppix 3.6 , Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.06 and SuSE
10.1
Ubuntu 5.10 refused to boot. Some other knoppix based live CDs booted fine.
Installed latest Nvidia drivers to get XGL working on SuSE 10.1. No problems
with XGL.

Onboard sound was not detected by Knoppix 3.6 and SuSE 10.1
But Ubuntu 6.06 had no issues with the sound.

Initially machine had only Linux installed on it but Internet access was
irratic.
I thought it to be MTNL problem due to rain.
After installing Windows, Linux refuses to ping even router.
Online Tux magazine blames this problem on windows but no solution was
available 2 months back.
Dont have time to experiment with reinstalling various distros and windows
again and again.
And since Internet is not working on Linux my family members are not booting
in Linux even for normal jobs :-(
Will try to resolve this in coming Diwali vacations and will post here if
successful.

For Linux single boot machines running Ubuntu 6.06 I would recommed  this
mobo.

Regards
Aseem