[ILUG-BOM] listing Scenarios for usibility of linux on desktop, please contribute

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 21 10:55:51 IST 2006

hello all,
I recently changed a couple of retail pharmasies to use gnu/linux on
their desktop.
first of all they were very resistent because their data management
softwares were working on foxpro and so changing to gnu linux was
impossible.
but the main reason for their complain was that their software had
grown too old and they wanted a new faster and efficient software.
I proposed to developed that for them in java.
then I told them about linux, took a ubuntu live cd and demonstrated
and they were impressed.
then I asked them a simple question "why do you use computers?" they
told me for their daily work.  so I asked "ok means you are using the
computer for data management word processor tasks etc.  so it is not
because you want to use some thing called windows?"  one of them told
me "windows ho ya kuch bhi, kam hone se matlab hain.  tumhara system
sab karta hain kya?"  as we all know linux can be equally good for all
the tasks mentioned above, I told them yes.
now that gave me an idea.
why don't we all linux users start a thread and keep on putting in
feedback of Scenarios where we have practically seen gnu/linux
working?  I underline the word practically seen, because some may only
say on the basis of what they have herd.
like for example I tryed to convince another client of my company who
already uses gnu/linux on the server to use it on the desktop after a
demo of ubuntu.
but he said "the system is great but does not seen to have autocad
which is the backbone of his business".
here I could not do any thing but to remove the live cd and boot the
machine back to windows.
so please put in your feedback on this.
where do you thihnk desktop linux can go and where it can't.
thanking all.
Krishnakant.