[ILUG-BOM] Re: a funny insident with me, gnu/linux debate.

VKB vydya@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Sep 20 08:14:39 IST 2006

>> talking about getting schools to use linux, well that's the way to go.
>> today the main reason why there is all this problem of gnu/linux is
>> not this and gnu/linux can't do that is because there are less
>> gnu/linux users on the desktop.  this can only change if students are
>
> Personally, I would rather see Linux on the corporate desktop. And on
> government desktops. Once you have those in place, the rest of the world
> will follow.

Both have their roles...
I'd rephrase that as :
    "WHAT (reach Corp/Govt desktops) and HOW (via schools)".

Many (commercial) software companies have special discounted
pricing under the "academic/educational" category.
This comes from their market-researched and calculated view to
capture students/learners early in their lives.

When these users reach corporate or government desktops in their
careers they tend to specify/use the software tools they are
already exposed/familiar (from their school/study days).

I've continue to do my 2p worth to promote open standards
in both those spaces, when I teach, and when I consult. So far
having more success with the former than the latter (wrt desktops).

---
vkb