[ILUG-BOM] challenge: customise ubuntu basic system to run from USB

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 19 17:19:32 IST 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 13:55, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> Is there any specific reason to use Ubuntu? If not then you can try
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/, which has HOWTOs with Puppy Linux
> and Knoppix.

Cause puppy uses syslinux and fat32. While it is proly the only way to
boot from dos, it is roundabout way and will miss the advances in
grub.
And u would not want a fat32 when u have superb filesystems on linux.
I personally use reiserfs which i found to be fairly robust on
powerloss. Considering that pendrives use flash, the jffs system
which is specifically designed for flashrom should be even better for
the robustness and reliability metrics. One other feature of jffs is
wear levelling. But pendirves have a micon which is supposed to do
that.

> For Fedora based systems, there is a tool called Kadischi which
> generates a customised live CD from a specified repository of RPMs.
> Kadischi is still in beta stage, but they are planning to make it
> capable of generating live USB devices and not only CDs.

USB is no different from anything else except the boot part.

--
Rgds
JTD