[ILUG-BOM] How to design multilingual website

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 19 14:09:20 IST 2006

On 19-Sep-06, at 1:52 PM, Philip Tellis wrote:

>> too much work - and there are some pretty massive sites out there
>> running on
>
> only if you do it manually.  what you're doing is akin to compiling
> a C program everytime a user wants to run it.  OTOH, you could get
> gcc to do that once and just give the user the binary.

mod_python + cacheing cuts this down dramatically

>>> the less dynamic content on a page, the better it will scale.
>>
>> obvious - but the less dynamic content, the more work for the
>> programmer and there is no fun in being a programmer if you have
>> to work
>
> nope, less work for programmer.  less work for the web server.
> more work for the preprocessor.
>
> how many hundreds of millions of users do these sites have?

no idea - they are not yahoo or google anyway. washinton post seems
to be the biggest - but i dont think they are multilingual. Someone
on this thread suggested we do it how google does it, but he didnt
elaborate.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves