[ILUG-BOM] a funny insident with me, gnu/linux debate.

jtd jtd@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Sep 18 11:11:53 IST 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 03:32, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

> Most non toy routers run IOS or JunOS (not that Linux

That apart EIGRP is the default protocol on the routers and is
patented. IOS is a mangled version of the BSDs. In a previous era
when mem was a constraint it would have been useful. Today a 1GB usb
would allow a full blown distro to reside on a router.

> _can't_, it just doesn't have the hardware support).

??. U can use a run of the mill x86 box. The useable bandwidth is
25mbps on the PCI bus. So with suitable interface cards that would
make a decent router. Not to mention all the other goodies that u
could addon. U would excuse the power consumption though.

--
Rgds
JTD