[ILUG-BOM] Re: a funny insident with me, gnu/linux debate.

krishnakant Mane researchbase@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Sep 18 09:34:41 IST 2006

indeed I totally agree that there should be a positive comparison
between windows and gnu/linux.
but that is all.  I agree that there is nothing like flash or autocad
in gnu/linux and for me, there is no good screen reader alternative.
having said that I also used gnu/linux extencively and im waiting for
the orca screen reader to be released.  once that is done, I think
windows will eventually vanish out of my house and office.
talking about getting schools to use linux, well that's the way to go.
 today the main reason why there is all this problem of gnu/linux is
not this and gnu/linux can't do that is because there are less
gnu/linux users on the desktop.  this can only change if students are
thought gnu/linux right from their early age of learning computers.
there should be a huge generation using gnu/linux so much so that due
to its usability, new softwares will start to sproute.  imagine a
photographer telling me "I have only learned gnu/linux, so while you
develop that xyz software for my customised needs, make sure it runns
on gnu/linux".
that should happen very often.
by the way I think there are very few situation where hardware support
is not present in today's linux kernel.  the days of heavy
incompatibility are by far gone.  infact when the gentelman from M$
called linux as a toy, that is what really irritated me and even I
thought "this man is even worst than an illetrate person and foolish
than the sardars from their jokes".  as Mr. Dinesh rightly pointed it
out, calling linux a toy itself is a joke.
I mean, how could yahoo, google, nasa etc could run on a toy?
bottom line is that I am not saying don't see the good points of
windows.  rather I will say take a demo of windows and catch its good
points.  of course don't make linux talk like "c: and d:" that's
stupid.
but for example I demonstrated the jaws screen reader on windows
during the 16th. meet and I think people like Anurag were more than
impressed.
but I did not stop there.  I have put forth a plan to Dr. Nagarjuna
about having a similar screen reader which unlike gnopernicus will
become the tool of regular blind people and not programmers and
scientists or computer experts.
thanking you and regards to all.
Krishnakant Mane.