[ILUG-BOM] Re: [Ilug-cal-discuss] Fedora Core & Intel 855GM

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Aug 20 19:14:06 IST 2006

> Check the X & kernel version. Does FC 5 have X.org v 7.x?

My kernel is 2.6.17. It is the official Fedora Core 5 RPM kernel.

I have X.org 7.0. Anyway here is what I did to check it:
[rishi at Sunflower X11]$ Xorg -version

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.9-34.ELsmp i686Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux Sunflower 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 #1 Tue Jul
11 22:55:46 EDT 2006 i686
Build Date: 30 June 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
[rishi at Sunflower X11]$

> Also, the
> kernel should use the i915 driver for this card, as I do on my old
> Toshiba laptop with 855GM and I get very decent 3D support.

I think I am using the i810 driver. My guess was it should be i915 as
you said, since the system detects my mother-board as Intel 852 and
not 855GM. As a result I had earlier tried fiddling with the 2.6.16
vanilla kernel, where I compiled i915 drivers and removed the i810
one. I do not remember the exact details of the various configurations
I tried, but my X simply refused to start.

Do you have any specific suggestions, or should I just try again and
get back with the exact things I did.

By the way are you using Ubuntu or Fedora?

Thanks,
Debarshi
--
Don't be humble ... you're not that great.
                                              -- Golda Meir