[ILUG-BOM] adding swap to existing install

Anurag anurag@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Aug 18 17:51:47 IST 2006

Sometime on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 05:34:14PM +0530, rohit bhute said:
> I am going to install Oracle XE on Ubuntu, for which I require
> 1 GB of swap. I already have 512 MB of swap space. I intend to
> add a 1GB swap partition. Can I do it to an xisting install? Say,
> by creating the partition and adding the corresponding entry to
> fstab?

You can do that. Just create a new partition, label/format it as linux
swap and refer it from fstab.

You could even add file based swap on the fly.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/boot/swapfile1  bs=512  count=1048576
# mkswap /boot/swapfile1
# swapon /boot/swapfile1

That should create extra 512MiB of swapspace for you without creating
any partitions.

Anurag
--
gnu /noo/ n. Ox like antelope; (abbr.) /gnoo/ n.