[ILUG-BOM] BSD

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Aug 17 11:58:58 IST 2006

>> The goal of the BSD license is to promote the development of useful
>> software. How it is used and what benefits the end users gain (or
>> lose) are not relevant to the programmers who want to contribute code
>> under this license.
>>
>> If I want to see my software widely used and don't care about the fact
>> that the end user may not be able to modify it, I would choose the BSD
>> license.

> are you sure bsd-style licenses forbid enduser modification? Most of the
> internet is down for me, so i couldnt verify this

As far as I know, BSD allows 'someone' to make a derivative work out
of a 'free' work and then prohibit the community from looking at the
source, changing, modifying or distributing it further. In fact
Microsoft did just that with the TCP/IP stack developed by BSD.

Note that the license does not prohibit from making enduser
modification, but allows others to prohibit, whereas the GPL prohibits
the others from prohibiting.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?"

                                     -Jean Kerr