[ILUG-BOM] BSD: Marketing

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Aug 17 03:25:46 IST 2006

>> Umm...not to belittle BSD community but BSD isn't not exactly known
>> widely, is it? Sure, they have great stuff but its not always superior

> Marketing.

True. Strangely there isn't much to prove this. Why did not Redhat,
Cygnus or Canonical choose to go the BSD way? My guess is nobody likes
the prospect of having M$ laying its hands on the code. ;-)

I have heard Mark Shuttleworth say that he started with the GPL,
shifted to BSD because he realised that the GPL was restrictive, then
he reverted back to the GPL.

Cheerio,
Debarshi
--
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?"

                                     -Jean Kerr