[ILUG-BOM] Re: RMS in Mumbai

vvcrishna at antispam vvcrishna@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Aug 17 00:13:07 IST 2006

Quoting Nagarjuna :

> From: "G." <nagarjun at gnowledge.org>

> > > In essence, Free software and Open Source software mean the same
> > > thing.
> >
> > They dont mean the same thing all though they refer to the same body
> > of software.
> >

> I wish to add something here, something I learned in my graduate
> courses in Philosophy some 12 years ago.   There is an expression
> called  'evening star', and another called 'morning star'.  They both
> refer to the same thing, namely the planet, venus.  Since this object
> appears first to the naked eye, and is very bright that can be seen
> even before dark, it is called by this name.   The expressions have
> different meanings, but the same reference.  But the name 'Planet
> Venus' clarifies that it is not a star, but planet, and the notiion of
> what astronomical objects are planet are well defined.

Actually, the concept of planet was not at all well defined, it wasn't defined
at all reasonably until today, when a meeting of astronomers decided to include
Xena, Charon and Ceres as planets, pushing the known planets total to 12.

Maybe the astrological significance of Free Software is aligned to this, which
is why there is such argument and confusion about GNU and Linux.

---
Vickram