[ILUG-BOM] RMS in Mumbai

Dinesh Joshi dinesh.a.joshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 16 16:40:00 IST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 03:21, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> Hehehehe... Arey I have seen Computer Science & Engineering majors
> and their teachers make such 'mistakes' or even graver ones. People
> of this category often talk about GCC, GNOME, GRUB, BASH, blah
> blah... without ever realising that GNU does have something to do
> with it. I have a guy who keeps chasing me to fix some issue with his
> GRUB, but I bet he has no idea about the GPL or RMS.
>
> Talking about the common man, many of them are quite familiar about
> Linux, but no inkling about GNU. They think Linus Torvalds is this
> amazing programmer, and I would not be suprised if they said "Hacker
> to Ankit Fadia hai bhai, yeh Richard Stallman koun hai?"
>
> This is sick, because if it was not for the GNU and its GPL then even
> the Linux kernel would not have here as it is today.

I agree. Many people just think the kernel is great. Nobody ever stops
to think twice about the shell which makes it possible for you to tell
the kernel what you want to do :P.

Its funny that even Linus Torvalds wants the OS to be called simply
Linux and not GNU/Linux. I agree with him only to a certain extent but
then its a controversial subject so lets just keep off it.

And puhleeezz dont get me started about Ankit Fadia. Hes a big hoax. Hes
nothing but a script kiddie who has just gathered cracks from websites
and compiled them into a book.

BTW wasn't GPL modelled on the Debian Free Software Guidelines? or was
it the social contract? Whatever it was, you should give due credit to
Debian! :)

--
Dinesh A. Joshi