[ILUG-BOM] RMS in Mumbai

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Aug 16 08:51:03 IST 2006

>> My observation is that most of these people are simple-minded ignorant
>> characters who need someone to 'drill' the facts into their head.

> This statement comes as a surprise from you. Why is everybody expected
> to know about gnu or freedom (software) when everyone is not from the
> computer software field and has switched over from windows to linux as
> an operating system only. Ideologies take time to get induced and
> spread.

Hehehehe... Arey I have seen Computer Science & Engineering majors and
their teachers make such 'mistakes' or even graver ones. People of
this category often talk about GCC, GNOME, GRUB, BASH, blah blah...
without ever realising that GNU does have something to do with it. I
have a guy who keeps chasing me to fix some issue with his GRUB, but I
bet he has no idea about the GPL or RMS.

Talking about the common man, many of them are quite familiar about
Linux, but no inkling about GNU. They think Linus Torvalds is this
amazing programmer, and I would not be suprised if they said "Hacker
to Ankit Fadia hai bhai, yeh Richard Stallman koun hai?"

This is sick, because if it was not for the GNU and its GPL then even
the Linux kernel would not have here as it is today.

Regards,
Debarshi
--
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?"

                                     -Jean Kerr