[ILUG-BOM] Problem starting GNOME

Nadiem knadz555@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Mar 26 23:37:04 IST 2005

--- Rony Bill <ronbillypop at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Suppose an existing user 'rony' was removed, and a
> new user called
> 'rony' was created, how will the system remove the
> older 'rony' and
> allot the existing ~rony directory to the new 'rony'

When you "remove" a user, you have to remove the
user's entry in the passwd, shadow, group and gshadow
files (using vipw and vigr commands). After that you
have to manually delete /home/rony and
/var/spool/mail/rony. Only after completing these
steps, is the user rony removed completely from the
system.

If you don't remove /home/rony and simply create a new
user called rony again, the system allocates the
directory to this user.

Regards,
Nadiem.