[ILUG-BOM] Pacenet-india PPPoE Connection

Revant revant.one@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Mar 23 23:28:30 IST 2005

I'll try to provide all info. So that experts can help me solve the
connection problem

1) I'm using ubuntu 4.10 http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
debian based distro

2) the command default in debian
me at ubuntu:~ $ pppoe-discovery

Access-Concentrator: net9
      Service-Name: net9
Got a cookie: 53 dd 47 9e 6e 39 bc 33 97 a5 11 60 e2 17 71 f2 fc 04 00 00
AC-Ethernet-Address: 00:0c:f1:fc:e6:ef
Access-Concentrator: net9online
      Service-Name: cable
AC-Ethernet-Address: 00:01:0a:11:44:34

3)adsl-start error ->

pd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
ing interface ppp0
nnect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
mote message: Login incorrect
nnection terminated.
flush failed: Input/output error
it.
pd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
ing interface ppp0
nnect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
mote message: Login incorrect
nnection terminated.
it.

4) username used to connect
I tried to connect with both types of usernames.
user and user at linuxuser both

5) kernel mode / Normal Mode pppoe connection method ->
 i dont know how to find this out?

6) tools used to configure pppoe
first i used pppoeconf then adsl-setup then edited the pppoe.conf
for a-c and service-name

Social and Real world :
My ISP cable guy has his router setup in such a way that i can auth
the net from web browser http:// 172.50.1.1
but it fails 1/4th of the time.

So on windows xp their so called "engineer" gave me the pacenet dialer
and connected me to internet with
1) my username
2) A-C was "net9online" and "service-name" was cable

I called pacenet-call centre and they said they cannot create
@linuxuser for me as i use 25kbps plan.

I think connection must work on linux because it works on windows,

I guess the problem might be in these 2 things

1)  it sometimes connects with PAP and sometimes CHAP and both methods fail
to authenticate, what should i use to connect to server, and how?

2) Problem might also be in kernel or normal mode pppoe , because i
dont know the difference

Now I'm on linux and connected to internet by the router way
http://172.50.1.1 , but
can't hold it for 24*7