[ILUG-BOM] Re: Flash Mob coming up soon...

rajeshr at antispam rajeshr@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Apr 14 18:55:58 IST 2004

Hi Trevor,

>  Rajesh, in fact i should admit that i am clueless. At the last GLUG
>meeting we decided that at most we should have noth AMD/Intel machines
> & <1GHz participate in the GLUG Flashmob.

A snippet from the Flashmob forum discussing slower machines.
No such problems can not be fixed because once the computers are linked together they become one, think of it like driveing a car if one tire magicly falls off your whole cars crashs as a result. The same is true in parallel computing if one node dies they all fail, also as a result you can only process infomation as fast as the slowest node so if someone brought in a 500mhz laptop and pluged it in for example the whole flash mob would only be able to process at 500mhz and not 1300 mhz. Now something like SETI and United Devices were people give there extra cycles to a cause you can have nodes that are only on every now and then and you can have a 486 in there we a 2.6 P4 because the way that data is processed, it doesnt have to be done in real time.

For us, the speed may not matter if we're just trying to get a group together and try something for fun.

-Rajesh