[ILUG-BOM] sad and depressed - Help! system hangs, files vanish

Vickram Crishna vvcrishna@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Apr 14 14:02:54 IST 2004

Hello

I am a new user, and new to this list too, although I was here a
couple of years back too.

I am running Red Hat 9.0 on my home PC, and the installation (which
was a simple straightforward home selection from the install choice
menu) has some troubling behaviour - namely the computer hangs from
time to time. The hardware is an old Compaq Celeron, with 128 MB. It
lacks a reset button, and in fact lacks an off switch. When the
machine hangs I have no choice but to pull the plug from the mains.
It has an On switch, but pressing this twice will not restart the
machine. In fact, once the switch is pressed on, it no longer has any
function. When the machine hangs I lose control of both the mouse and
the keyboard. This happens at least once a week (the machine is
usually on).

So far so good - or not so good.

When it reboots, it goes through a file system integrity check
routine, which always reaches around 99% and then stops, asking me to
use Ctrl-D to reboot again, which I do. It then completes the
integrity check rapidly and restarts properly. On two occasions
(including right now) this has gone awry.

Right now, although it allows me to start up under the registered
login identities (including root) the GUI has been disturbed, with
the standard icons and the wallpaper missing. I logged in as root and
found the files missing from the /home/[username] folder were
visible, but greyed out. The Find command says the files do not exist.

What is worse is that the downloaded mail (no longer on the mail
server) is also apparently gone, and the Mozilla identity destroyed.

This happened once before, just after I had tediously completed
updating the Address Book (transferred from my other laptop). I am
seriously dismayed at the thought of having to do it once more, plus
of course not being able to retrieve those mails, one or two of which
are critical.

Can anyone guide me on a) how to prevent it hanging in the first
place and b) how to recover the missing identities/files (actually
since the identity login and passwords work, apparently the system is
partially aware of the users, but their files are now unreachable
(even the ones whose filenames I can see greyed out), including the
desktop wallpaper selection.

If this is a problem already discussed here, please just point me to
the thread, or else do mail me directly if you have a way forward.
--
Vickram