[ILUG-BOM] your morning cuppa floss news

Trevor Warren trevor.w@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Apr 13 09:23:47 IST 2004

Your morning's cuppa FLOSS.

############
#For the Embedded Folks
############

IT Investor's Journal: Why Openwave is getting deep into Linux
Monday April 12, 2004 - [ 06:21 PM GMT ]
Topics: Linux
By: Melanie Hollands

Melanie Hollands contends in a story about mobile-device middleware maker
Openwave that over the next few years the WindowsCE mobile development
folks might be surprised how quickly they are losing projects to Linux.
Read on at ITMJ.

Read more at IT Manager's Journal -
http://management.itmanagersjournal.com/management/04/04/12/1818212.shtml

#############
#A wonderful essay by RMS : Must Read
#############

Free but shackled: The Java trap
Topics: Java , Programming
By: Richard M. Stallman

Editor's note: Stallman's timing with this piece is impeccable, and it
dovetails nicely with the questions raised by Javalobby's Rick Ross in
this article.

If your program is free software, it is basically ethical--but there is a
trap you must be on guard for. Your program, though in itself free, may be
restricted by non-free software that it depends on. Since the problem is
most prominent today for Java programs, we call it the Java Trap.

http://programming.newsforge.com/programming/04/04/07/2021242.shtml?tid=105&tid=54

##############
#Embedded News : Holy Grail!!!
##############

Real-Time OS Vendor Calls Linux 'Insecure' For Defense
Monday April 12, 2004 - [ 06:35 PM GMT ]
Topics: Linux , Security , Software , Operating Systems

A storm has erupted in the embedded community, with real-time operating
systems house Green Hills charging that Linux is fundamentally insecure
and wide open to security breaches by "foreign intelligence agencies and
terrorists."

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20040412S0001

##############
#Supercomputers & GNu/Linux
##############

Cray CTO: Linux clusters don't play in HPC
By Jan Stafford, Editor
12 Apr 2004 | SearchEnterpriseLinux.com
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Linux clustering was touted as the next big thing by
many vendors last week at ClusterWorld Conference & Expo 2004.

But supercomputer vendor Cray Inc. scoffed at the notion of putting Linux
clusters in the high-performance computing (HPC) category. In fact, Cray
showcased a system -- Cray XD1 with Active Manager -- that will compete in
performance and price with some Linux clusters upon its release..

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci959294,00.html

#######################
#Migration : @ Work with Gnu/Linux
#######################

Migrating from Windows to Linux, Part 1:
Crashes, viruses and headaches. You have had it with Windows and you want
to switch to Linux. Where to begin? How do you save your documents? Will
my hardware work?

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/index.html

###################
#Tech News
###################
Introducing "Cooperative Linux" - Linux for Windows, No Less
April 11, 2004

    Summary
    A month ago, a trial version of a little-known Linux application
called "CoLinux" was released that is the first working free and open
source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows
natively. It's the work of a 21 year-old Israeli computer science
student and some Japanese open source programmers; in Israel, analysts
are already saying it could help transform the software world.

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/44466.htm

####################
#Advocacy
####################

A Manifesto for Collaborative Tools

This essay is a manifesto about software for collaboration -- why the
world's future depends on it, why the current crop of tools isn't good
enough, and what programmers can and must do about it.

http://www.blueoxen.org/papers/0000D/

###################
#MS : Humour
###################

The Once and Future King
Now the Only Way Microsoft Can Die is by Suicide

By Robert X. Cringely

When I wrote last week about my conclusion that the legal system -- any
legal system -- is unequipped to change Microsoft's monopolistic behavior,
I had no idea that within 24 hours, Sun Microsystem would be throwing in
the towel, trading its so-called principles for $1.95 billion in cash. So
I guess I was right. Only now, a few thousand readers out there expect me
to blithely produce an answer to the problem of what to do to bring
Microsoft into the civilized world. Well, I say it can't be done.

/~\    __       Scaling FLOSS in the      __   /~\
|  \) /   Enterprise : trevor.w at pvision.biz  \ (/ |
|_|_  \       Call Now:  9820349221          / _|_|