[ILUG-BOM]Problem with using IMAP daemon.

Rajen M. Parekh rajparekh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 15 12:42:21 IST 2003

Hello Luggers,

I am trying to use Squirrelmail (a web based email client). It requires an
imap service running. I want to access my mails in /var/spool/mail/rajen.

I don't know much about how to use imap nor have I read much about it
anywhere. I installed imapd (UW), and xinetd. I enabled imap in
/etc/xinetd.d/imap file, which looks like,

service imap
{
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/imapd
        flags           = IPv4
}

Then I enabled imap in inetd.conf, which looks like,

imap  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  imapd

I still could not log in using Squirrelmail. I then tried to use telnet on
port 143. When I connect I get the following message,

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED]
localhost IMAP4rev1 2002.332 at Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:37:52 +0530 (IST)

The problem it seems to me is that is imapd starts with LOGINDISABLED. How
can I change that? Or is it so that imapd is compiled with this option.
The man pages nor the documentation available with the package is of any
help.

BTW, I am using Suse Linux 8.2 ...

Rajen.