[ILUG-BOM]great downloader and ad filter for GNU/Linux

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Oct 13 22:01:47 IST 2003

Sometime Today, linuxdev assembled some asciibets to say:

> thats an highly inefficient solution at best. Besides if i change my

Actually, it's more efficient than a heuristic scanner.  Your host still
needs to do a host name lookup - this way it's faster, since it gets a
response from your own hosts.conf file.  also, there's no processing
done (except for the fact that your webserver gets hit a lot).

> setup or lose the built up list its all gone. Heuristic scanners such

I've found that I don't need to change the list that I got from the
site.  I haven't seen an advt in all the months that I've used it.

> as these are perfect for on-the-fly removal of ads. At absolutely no

On-the-fly -> too much processing required.

> pain or modification to any damn file. The program itself hardly has

You have to install it don't you?  It's easier to do
cat newhosts >> /etc/hosts.conf

> any overhead and doesn't introduce any kind of latency in browsing.

it does.  there's overhead in starting a new process, and in running
that.  the hosts method doesn't have that issue.

--
Granddad was superstitious about books. He thought that if you had enough
of them around, education leaked out, like radioactivity.