[ILUG-BOM] GNUnify - The All India Free Software Festival

N.a.v.i.n ....D.h.a.n.u.k.a navin_dhanuka@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Dec 27 16:34:39 IST 2002

Hello Luggers,

We the students of 'Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies
and Research'
(S.I.C.S.R.) want to contribute to the GNU project. With
this aim in mind, we
are organizing "GNUnify", with the  whole hearted support
of the management of
our institute.

Symbiosis Society needs no introduction, but since on the
list there
are also people from the international free software
community, I would give a
small introduction about Symbiosis & our institute.

# About Symbiosis
Established in 1971, primarily to promote world
understanding between Indian and
foreign students through education, Symbiosis International
Cultural and
Educational center runs seventeen academic institutions in
various disciplines
such as Management, Law, Computer, Journalism,
Telecommunications, Arts,
commerce and even Kindergarten, Primary and Secondary
education. The student
strength of Symbiosis is over 16,000 and students from over
32 different
countries and from all states of India are presently
pursuing education in
different Symbiosis institutions. We in Symbiosis believe
that "World is one
Family".

# About Our Institute.
Since its inception in 1985, S.I.C.S.R is striving to give
quality education to
students through its several full-time & part-time
affiliated and autonomous
courses.  From this year SICSR is a constituent of
Symbiosis International
Education Center  (S.I.E.C), Deemed University.

# About ‘ GNUnify ’
The annual fest of SICSR – ‘Unify’, is composed of various
cultural, academic
events & contests.
This year we are adding a new feather to our cap-GNUnify,
our own way of
contributing & encouraging the free software movement.

HomePage: http://www.sicsr.ac.in
[Note: Website will be up by 1st week of Jan 2003]
E-Mail: gnunify at symbiosiscomputers.com

# The Objective of GNUnify .
To unify & encourage the efforts of GNU Developers across
the country by
awarding the best & motivating the rest.

# Events under GNUnify 2003 are:
1. Code-Presentations (open for all)
1.1 App Dev (Web Apps, Biz Apps, Edu Capsules)
1.2 Embedded Linux
1.3 Network Programming
1.4 Kernel Development / Device Drivers

2. Paper-Presentations (open only for students)
2.1 General
for e.g.
.... Socio Economic Aspect of using GNU/Linux
.... Does GNU/Linux make sense for India?
.... Will China go ahead of India, if they turn to
free-software?

2.2 Free Software B-Plan Contest
The major concern of most developers is that since GNU is
free there
is little / no money to be earned out it.  To disprove this
free s/w or gnu based B-plan contest.
People submit their B-plans built around free s/w.

2.3 Technical
for e.g.
.... How to use Apache
.... Migrating from ASP to PHP
.... Wirel

3. Techie-Talks
[Under Planning - We are inviing speakers from accross the
country.]

4. Hands-on Workshops
[Under Planning]

5. Install-Fest of GNU/Linux
[Distributions: Debian, Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake, ...]

6. Movie Screenings.
[RMS Public Lecture @ IIT-Mumbai & Linux-The Code Movie]

Event Dates: 15 & 16 Feb 2003

Tentative Program for Day 1
!!! 15 Feb 2003  - Saturday
1. Hands-on-Workshops
2. Install Fest
3. Techie Talks
4. Movie Screenings
Venue: SICSR (Atur Center)

Tentative Program for Day 2
!!! 16 Feb 2003 - Sunday
1. Selected Paper Presentations
2. Selected Code-Project Presentations
3. Public Lecture by RMS (We await his confirmation.)
4. Prize Distribution
Venue: Vishwa Bhawan

Thanking You,
Navin Dhanuka