[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Is your PC legal?

Abhijeet More abhijeetmore@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Dec 26 22:09:54 IST 2002

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 06:26:18AM -0500, Bhargav Bhatt wrote:
> > A criminal is a criminal no matter how many crimes he commits
>
> We can agree to disagree here, but the above statement is not
> entirely true IMO. That statement amounts to saying that one can compare a
> petty pickpocket with someone like say Bin Laden. The linux user who uses
> the occasional .gif is like pickpocket and the Windows user who uses
> almost all pirated non-free programs for free is like Bin Laden. Decide for
> yourself if these two are equivalent considering the crimes they are
> guilty of.

Even I would disagree with you here Bhargav.
Let me explain that.

Windows user using pirated windows software => criminal => crime is
                                                        using software
							without license
Linux user using pirated linux apps => criminal => crime same as above

Osama bin Laden => criminal => crime is 9/11, murder, blah blah ...
Pickpocket => criminal => crime is picking a pocket

Legality status with reference to a specific crime is binary.
That I believe was what was meant.
ciao
Abhijeet More