[ILUG-BOM] Great Opportunity : Linux Initiative by Government

jitendra jitendras@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Dec 25 20:23:38 IST 2002

Dear Luggers and ASHAites, Academia and policymakers

Three cheers to Nagarjuna for his intervention in Linux Initiative. (see
his note below)
A few thoughts on the occasion.
That the Govt is thinking about gnu/linux is a great sign. It was always
the case that many bureacrats , particularly from the era of
'self-reliance' know well that the world wide success of IT developers
of India is rooted in the spirit and commitment of self-reliance
nurtured in the early deacdes after independence.
I am sorry to say that such a spirit is now seen only occasinally.
Perhaps the self-reliance may have got entwined with narrow chauvinism
rather than the grand democratic principle that (m. k.) gandhi
demonstrtated and articulated. In a globalising world chauvinism may be
an anachronism. I am afraid baby was thrown along with bathwater.
The most important responsibilty on those of us who want to see the
survival and growth of freedom is thus to set practical examples of such
commitment to the universal principles . The government patronage to
self reliance may ebb and flow .  What will survive is the power
distributed to many. In our context that power is freedom of knowledge
and more particularly quality education, access to information and
ability to communicate and ability to associate. Several developments in
the IT make all this easier. Efforts are needed to make this ACTUAL.
Let us create really good alternatives that can reach the masses.
e-governance and education touch the masses immediately.
I for one would appeal to all the techys to look into the field of
education which is rapidly deteriorating and where the computers are
being massively disused but it is an area where (public and private)
financial resources are not in short supply.Language technologies will
play a major role in the spread here.
I identify the following steps in this direction.

  1. Create the awareness of potential of computers to radically
     enhance  the learning ability of children .(advocay with sound
     undersatnding of learning process in the age of computer)
  2. Make teachers capable of allowing children to learn their subjects
     (not a new subject called computer)  even without they being
     themselves experts in computers.(teacher training)
  3. Localise and translate  the software that is already available in
     english(collaboratively) (refer www.ofset.org, LetUS program of
     NorthWestern Univ, LOGO etc.)
  4. Encourage/support the creation of local software.(overcome current
     hiccups of writing systems for indian scripts on computers on linux
     and then make computation in indian languages)

It is not possible to convince myself  that such an initiative can be
effective with any thing other than free software foundation.  This can
be done  only by those who can bring educationists/techys/bureaucrats on
a common platform..
Can some of us meet sometime to work out some plans on these lines.
jitendra

Nagarjuna wrote on 25 Dec:

Ministry of Information Technology organized a meeting, called `Linux
India Initiative' where more than 40 people from various depts of govt
IITs, NCST, BARC, CDAC, NIC, main companies like IBM, redhat, netcore,
exocore etc., and also from the state govts (secreatary level
representatives.)  It was rather surprising that there is so much of
awareness in the Govt circles. This meeting tookplace in Delhi in the
Electronics Niketan close to the Nehru Stadium on Lodhi Road.

Mr. S. Ramakrishnan (popularly known as Ramki) made the only
presentation in the meeting.  His presentation displayed that he did
his home work very well, and the presentation was comprehensive. He
listed various advantages of using OSS.  He made it clear in the
beginning itself that Linux actually stands for GNU/Linux, and so it
should be understood as inclusive of GNU and not exclusive.  Later
Mr. Shaw (secretary MIT) chaired the meeting that went on from 3pm to
6.15pm.  He took notes of almost all the speakers points and appeared
serious.  Prof. Sivakumar from IIT Mumbai, Barua of IIT Gauhati, were
the prominent members from the Academia.  Issues such as support, GUI,
security, localization, took the attention of most speakers.  Also
since the Chairman explicilty asked every one to respond to GUI and
security concerns.

Keyur Shroff from NCST made a brief presentation on localization work
being done at NCST, and Atul Chitnis of Exocore also made very good
points.

Two volumes containing several documents downloaded from the internet
are circulated to the participatns.  This also included some pages
from our own website.

I represented the users community and FSF India.  The points mentioned
by me were as follows:

General Comments:

Why cost should not be the sole reason for promoting the use of
Free (Swatantra) Software?

   Most people argue in favor of Free Software because of the
   cost factor.  This should not be the sole reason for promoting
   free software.  Achieving self-reliance is often very
   pain-staking and difficult path.  India's success stories in
   Space and Atomic energy are good illustrations in this regard.
   We don't and we should not do `cost of ownership' analysis on
   our path towards self-reliance.  We should run for the values
   enshrined in our constitution, such as `self-reliance', even if
   they are expensive.  Incidentally, though, free software is
   several times economical than Proprietary software.

Why the expression `Linux India Initiative' is not appropriate?

   The term `Linux' refers to only one of the free kernels
   available, though the most popular.  `BSD' does not use the
   Linux kernel, but is also a free OS. Another free kernel
   called HURD is also being developed by the GNU community.

   Since most applications that run on GNU/Linux also run on
   several OSs, including MS Windows, it is not appropriate to
   use only `Linux.'  We should promote the use of free software
   even on propreitary OS.  Most users who are already using MS
   windows can also use most of free software, though it is
   desirable to use a free OS in the long run.

   My suggestion is to use `Swatantra Software Initiative'.  One
   of the main reasons why we should go for using Free Software
   is not merely because of the economic implications, but its
   use gives the users freedom, and self-reliance.

   The English expression ``Free Software Initiative'' also is not
   appropriate because, the term `free' is ambiguous, for in most
   widely used contexts it refers to `free of cost/charge'.

   Since India is committed to self-reliance it will be
   appropriate to use `Swatantra'.

There are a few blocks in the road of taking Swatantra software
to various corners of ICT use, such as the following:

   Using documents encoded in proprietary format, preventing free
   usage of data across different OS. This also encourages
   monopoly and facilitates lock-in.

   Most IT training institutions provide training mostly
   emphasizing or exclusively on proprietary applications.

   The syllabus in several colleges and Universities knowingly or
   unknowingly mentions not the neutral descriptions of what the
   student is supposed to learn, but names of proprietary
   applications.  E.g., Excell in place of spreadsheets, or
   Ms-Word in place of word processor, Oracle in place of SQL,
   etc.  At least in all Govt controlled institutions a policy
   should be made against this practice.

   A policy decision/discussion should happen regarding the
   software that is being developed within the Govt
   organizations, and its possible release under GPL or similar
   protected forms of free software license.

The Annexure-I already contains several broad issues for
discussion.  Having supported the spread of Free software in the
country for several years, and keeping in mind my expertise and
the mandate of the institution (Homi Bhabha Centre for Science
Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai) where
I am working, I wish to contribute in whatever form on the
following:

  Setting up of Resource Centres
  SIG in Education sector (including schools)
  Introduction in curricula of engineering colleges, universities
  and colleges.