[ILUG-BOM] Linux India Initiative

Harsh Busa harsh_vjti@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Dec 25 12:56:42 IST 2002

hello all

there is one concern that i have seen in many software
developers mind. it pinches them to give away the src
code for several reasons.

cant there an intermediate solution ? there was a
decent concept that evolved out of discussion at
lunacy trip. the idea was that a product src can be
given to the buyer only for their use. if they make
commercials out it the parent of the src sud get some
money. (though managing the levels is impossible). or
some sort of policy that will prevent predators from
getting away with the software.

also if the product support or the company itself is
about to die then the src code sud be released so that
it can be maintained by its users.

this is similar to warranty with most hardware. till u
are covered under warranty you dont mess with the
product, afterwards its your choice.

i know this is not completely in compliance with gnu
philosophy but doesnt completely stand against it too.

hope these thoughts help in spreading the word
regards
Harsh R Busa
BackendGuru Technologies
http://www.BackendGuru.com