[ILUG-BOM] Motorola SM56 modem not detected and depmod error

Amish Munshi amish_munshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Dec 24 21:12:46 IST 2002

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 09:02:25PM +1200, Vinord Anand wrote:
> * LUG meet on 12 Jan. 2003 @ VJTI
>
> regarding this problem) .
>
> I haven't considered option to throw away my modem yet!

	Take the desicion of thrashing it as quickly as possible if
	you like to use your computer in proper health.
	But, till then, I had the same modem, the depmod error never had any
	solution, I used it on RH 7.1, and it has worked only on that
	OS. I have however not tried downgrading my kernel to 2.4.2 and
	use the driver.
		RH 7.1 comes with 2.4.2, so you can give that a try
		provided you like to learn the process of installation
		of a kernel.
	Some warnings before you do downgrade and use the modem, the
	simplest way to use this modem is to use RH7.1 (preferrable
	PCQLinux 7.1 - since it comes preinstaled with this driver, just
	run sm56setup and it works).
	The comp used to hang approx ever 1 hour after using modem.
	I did never find any solution to the depmod error and every time
	on booting it used to stop at exactly that problem for approx 30
	sec. to irratate me.
	Even after the proper installation wvdial will never manage to
	detect the modem, I used Kppp to connect to the net, I used
	/dev/modem as device.

		The site also mention that it works on only RH7.1, so
		the best deal is to use RH7.1, but if you have any
		specific use of Rh7.3, then try to downgrade the kernel
		to 2.4.2 and installation of modem after that.

	Hoping to get some good news from you.