[ILUG-BOM] Re: Business models for Free Software/Open Source.....CONTEST

Trevor Warren trevor.w@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Dec 23 10:57:37 IST 2002

Hello all,
 good-morning.

 Have jsut returned from a gnu-linux lunacy trip yesterday we had
arranged for the bombay gnu-linux users group at arnala beach resort;
and the prime topic of conversation that gave us enough food for thought
was..........

 >> "Building Commercial Business Models based on FSF/OS " <<

 Since this is an important issue, i will answer you mail in context as
i see it very important to address all the issues that have cropped up
in my mind since having read your email.

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:44:34 +0530 (IST)
Dr Tarique Sani <tarique at sanisoft.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Trevor Warren wrote:
> Hello Fred, Trevor,
>
> I am co-indentally just put the finishing touches to a document which
> outlines the Open Source Business Model used by my company SANIsoft
>
> Feel free to have a preview at http://www.sanisoft.com/pages/18
[snip]

 We appreciate the time/efforts spent in penning down your thoughts on
sustainable business models based on FSF/OS.

 I for one will go through them asap and i also urge other fellow
luggers/fsf-os'ers to go through them too. It will surely help us frame
up our own though processes and help it take shape in believing in a
sustainable business model built on the realms of FSF/OS.

> Please note that this is not an general article BUT a corporate
> strategy page hence it has a strong emphasis on *we* and *us* Flaming
> me wont have any effect :)
[snip]

 Long time ago.....we have decided that EGO's trips accross LUG's and
in LUG's have to be sorted out. So, lets all set our principal
differences apart and work in unison towards achieving our common goal.

> BUT the point is that a lot of work already has gone into what is
> being talked about in these previous few mail (see the links at the
> bottom specially the setting up shop link)
>
> So my questions with regards to business models are -
> 1) What is this group (if I may call it that)  aiming at?
[snip]

 This as you see Dr. Sani is a closely knit group of fsf/os and
gnu-linux enthusiasts who are keenly looking at mining data related to
Business Models that one can build on and which are solely relevant in a
country such as India.

 After a lot of thought, i was convinced that it is imperative that we
run a contest inviting Business models based on FSF/OS which would help
us showcase them all for future reference. This would also help
cultivate the Right Business Ethics into the mindsets of the
young-bright and catalyse them into giving FSF/OS a serious thought as a
carreer option.

> 2) What are proposals to take the existing body of work forward?
[snip]

 First, we need to hash out amoung ourselves the framework for the same.
We need to continue discussion on these lines and frame out the
objectives for the long run.

 As i mention in my previous point, some of the objectives i have
mentioned stand. We can add to the same. That apart, once they have been
layed down the onus rests on us to take this proposal to some of the
industry biggie-wiggies and get their commercial support towards framing
a contest based on the above.

 Then once the groundwork is tard bit more clearer we go out and
populate all the mailing lists/Colleges/Schools with the contest details
inviting participation high and low. Companies like IBM/RedHat seem like
the most likely sponsors of the same.

 The order of events as mentioned above could definitely change,
depending on the course of action taken.

> 3) How can we make all this relevant in the Indian scenario?
[snip]

 More than ever there has been an increasing ardent fan following for
FSF/OS in our Beaureaucracies/Governments. This demands that we fuel the
flame and provide them good insight which would surely help our own
FSF/OS pundits forward their cause and thus for the same populate them
with enough appropirate data.

 There is more that i want and could write justifying the cause of need
for such events.

 Lets all put our thinking caps and get started on the same. Volunteer
efforts for the same are welcome from far and wide.

 Bye for now all and have a great day.

Trevor