[ILUG-BOM] Linux is not reliable . Windows Still rulez

Philip S Tellis linuxers@mm.ilug-bom.org.in
Thu Jan 24 11:54:03 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Amish K. Munshi wrote:

> Yes I agree with you, but I most of the work that we require to do is
> available as a GUI toolkit. And however integrated we are to the Linux
> systems, we would love to use the graphical version of linuxconf
> rather than the text version.

Don't use linuxconf - any version.  It is broken, it will break your
configuration files.

Anyway, I was not talking about using linuxconf or tools like that, I
was talking about using vi to edit the configuration files.

No GUI interface (you can also have text based GUIs) can give you the
flexibility of directly editing the configuration files.  This is so
because with an interface, you are restricted to putting all your
widgets into limited screen space.  You are limited by what the designer
of the interface thought you might want to do.  I have not seen an
interface that lets you do everything possible (except maybe with
resolv.conf and hosts.conf)

--
#if 0
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/fs/buffer.c