[ILUG-BOM] kernel on a processor

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jan 18 11:48:03 IST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

> --- "Amarendra Godbole (Intl Vendor)" <v-amarg at microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Search for `Crusoe processor' from Transmeta Corporation in Google.
>
> processor. Its just a VLIW processor that spends some of its time
> recompiling the incoming instruction stream into its native instruction

It's a VLIW processor with a linux kernel on it to do the recompiling.
Basically, let the software do the work, and pass the instructions onto
the CPU.  The kernel really resides in Flash ROM, and loads up before
even the BIOS.

Philip

--
"I propose we leave math to the machines and go play outside."
		-- Calvin