[ILUG-BOM] Colored Prompt and other tweaks

Nikhil Joshi nikhiljoshy@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Jan 15 23:23:03 IST 2002

Hi!

I was wondering how [ OK ] is displayed in color. I found the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file. I got the 'color code' and assigned
PS1="\\033[1;32m$"
                |----- my prompt

Now my prompt appears in green color!!!.
I would like to know what do those numbers and symbols mean. I figured out
that 32m stands for a color and changing the value changes the color.

I found out another tweak by which one can have a message on the console
while all the commands scroll below it. Here is the exact command.

$ clear;echo -e '\033[018;25r'; cat ascii_logo_file

I use this in rc.sysinit to dislay a logo while other stuff scrolls below
it. Kinda looks good ;-)
Again I would like to know what does the stuff mean.

BTW has anyone used a kernel patch which shows a welcome screen ?
I've found LPP and I'll be checking it out soon :-)

--
Say no, then negotiate.
		-- Helga