[ILUG-BOM] tarballs-why r they so called?

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jul 22 15:20:09 IST 2001

Sometime Today, Nikhil Joshi assembled some asciibets to say:

> more popular in Windows. I can imagine 'zipping' as compressing the
> data . Over a few days I have realised that tar format of compresion

tar is not a compression format, it is an archive format.

> is the more widely used format not only for backing up data locally
> on the hard disk but also for distribution of software. So why is it
> called tar and why the file called tarball?

have you tried doing man tar or info tar?  tar stands for tape archive.
For history read info tar.  Tarball means a ball of tar, generally
compressed using gzip (.gz) or bzip2 (.bz2) or compress (.Z).

Philip

--
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs.
		-- Kernighan

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis