[ILUG-BOM] Dial-Up and DSL on RH 6.2 server?

Tushar Burman tb@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jul 22 02:00:08 IST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <rdkoli at excite.com>

> Since, the review of DSL connection at my place is not good, I wish to
> continue with my Dial-Up connection, whenever there is a bandwidth
problem.

> Having 2 network cards, 1 modem, can you pls suggest me what changes
should
> i make to my existing setup.

I use a similar setup with cable modem (in2cable) at nariman point. It isn't
reliable enough to be kept on and forgotten. So I have a couple of scripts
that either enable the cable interface, or use the dial-up link.

In my specific case, the box is a mail server, so I have a cron job that
periodically polls for mail. It does this thru a script that checks for an
existing internet connection and then takes action. When I've enabled
dial-up access thru my previously-mentioned scripts, the periodic script
simply dials the net if no connection is available, or uses the existing
dial-up connection, if available. If cable access is enabled, the script
checks to see if the cable interface is up and uses it, or brings it up and
goes about it's business.

A little complex to explain, but really simple in practice. I don't have my
scripts on hand here, I'll send them to you if you want.

---
Tushar Burman
GNU/Linux/*BSD evangelist, friend to animals.
tb at freeos.com
icq: 112803958
y!: tusharburman
msn: tusharburman