[ILUG-BOM] Why do we hate Windows?

Manish Jethani cruisecoder@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 21 20:12:26 IST 2001

Sometime today, Nikhil Joshi wrote:

> I have seen many Linux users (Linux users in general and not
> just linuxers) referring to Windows or it's apps in rather
> demeaning way e.g.  window$,win....,M$ Win.., windoze, etc.

Sometimes, we just enjoy it.  It used to be fun earlier on, but
it's beginning to get on everyone's nerves.  The Linux Advocacy
HOWTO suggests that one shouldn't use such ``creative spelling''
to promote Linux.

> Why are we so intolerant ?
> I mean we have been using this OS since it's arrival .Most of

Not everyone.  I know Linux enthusiasts who've never used
Windows.  Such people consider themselves to be computer
enthusiasts, and they like to play with Windows sometimes.

> us (I am not sure but I guess) have dual boot system .  I am

I am living in a Microsoft-free world.  I don't use M$ :):)
products anymore.  I do sometimes, but that's when I really
don't have a choice (e. g. at the cyber cafe).

> not professing the use of Windows but I think it is imperative
> for us to understand that Windows is here to stay ,at least in
> the desktop environment .

I think Win9x is dead (WinXP sucks, even for the hardcore
microserf).  Win2k is here to stay.  Win2k is a nice OS.

> Also I think Windows is affordable for most users ( OEM stuff

But that's not an issue!  Cost is Not an issue.

> So the question is why do we hate Windows so much ? Are we
> jealous of it's success or is it just unwritten rule for Linux
> users to snub it ?

I hate Windows because it's too slow, too unflexible, crashes
all the time (non-2k), and doesn't have bash, grep and related
tools.  More than Linux users hate Windows, they like Linux.

Manish

--
If you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get
it.