[ILUG-BOM] Re: OT the middle path

jtdyahoo jtdesouza@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 21 18:49:30 IST 2001

On Saturday 21 July 2001 00:17, Linuxers wrote:
> [...]

The real issue is not the amount of money or profit you make but
wether you encroach upon others rights. Do not encroach on others
rights and make all the money you would ever want.

There is no middle path. If you agree with the fact that IP should
be unencumbered then it would be unethical for you to encumber your
IP which in any case is built on the knowledge of many others.

What would you define as personal. If I use your product in my
office (i do not sell your product to anybody) for improving my GNU
Billbasher and sell it, is it commercial, and how would you cost
your contribution. Remeber it was my Billbasher and my effort in
improving it. And my friend loves your stuff as he can bash
MTNL/MSEB/the-guy-next-door and takes a free copy from me. Now
what?. Trying to build a business on restrictions is not workable.

> I think Kishor has answered the question acceptably. It's one
> option. I don't know what companies follow a "middle path" and
> what exactly that is. I would like to know, because I don't see
> business models in the open source/free software world being as
> money-making as commercial software businesses.

You would require heavy capital investment or be a niche player.
Use capital to build your brand image. If you brand it well the
"ignorant" majority will buy your GNU Excel.
Or produce niche products. Eg. couple hardware and software. The
user could write his own software and engineer his own hardware,
but it would be such a economic pain that he would choose not to.
Of course other technically capable guys would copy it. But you
will not be sleeping (like premier automobiles) while others are
copying it. You will be converting and upgrading your product to
GNU-Net-slasher. And if the competition is improving it you will
benefit since it is gpld. If the competition does not publish their
derivate works as per the gpl, wait until they have made money,
then sue the pants off them and live happily ever after in Hawaii.

jtdesouza at yahoo.com