[ILUG-BOM] Why do we hate Windows?

Mayuresh A Kathe mayuresh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 21 10:09:02 IST 2001

on 21/7/2001 8:31 AM, Nikhil Joshi at nikhiljoshy at yahoo.com wrote:

> I have seen many Linux users (Linux users in general and not just linuxers)
> referring to Windows or it's apps in rather demeaning way e.g.
> window$,win....,M$ Win.., windoze, etc. Why are we so

You missed one, winDOZE... :-)

> intolerant ? I mean we have been using this OS since it's arrival .Most
> of us (I am not sure but I guess) have dual boot system .  I am not
> professing the use of Windows but I think it is imperative for us to
> understand that Windows is here to stay ,at least in the desktop
> environment .

I haven't used winDOZE in 2 years, its either been Linux or my beloved
Macintosh.
WinDOZE could have stayed, but if you have read up on the net about the XP
registration procedures, gawd, I think they are digging their own grave.

> Also I think Windows is affordable for most users ( OEM stuff ) .So I think
> the argument that Windows costs a fortune is not true. In Linux too we have
> commercial distributions ( Suse,Corel, Red Hat Deluxe Workstation,etc..)
> whose costs are comparable to that of Windows 95 or 98 .

What happens when you buy an OEMed machine is, you also pay the cost of
winDOZE along with the hardware, you just don't know that.
I don't think you get winDOZE for Rs.200/- (check out FreeOS.com)

> So the question is why do we hate Windows so much ? Are we jealous of
> it's success or is it just unwritten rule for Linux users to snub it ?

A person would be jealous of something/someone's success only if that
thing/person mattered to him/her, winDOZE is something that we are least
bothered about :-)

~Mayuresh