[ILUG-BOM] We don't need no dependencies

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sam_buddhe@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jul 20 22:48:27 IST 2001

Nikhil wrote:

>Why can't  Red Hat guys have sane and strict policies ?

If you use rpms that are released by Redhat, they will have very few
problems. The conflicts arise because, as I had mentioned, there are many
different sources for rpm packages and the people who make them don't have
a coherent set of policies - they just do their own thing! As against this,
the debs usually come from the Debian project itself ... people don't
usually get their packages from other sources even if they exist.

> > Or an even better idea is to download tarballs and then
> > create rpm packages out of them before installing.
>
>Sorry I cannot comprehend what you mean . Please enlighten.

You can use a source tarball to create your own rpm package. The rpm
command will do almost everything for you - configure, compile, etc. Read
more about it in the book called "Maximum RPM" http://www.rpmdp.org/rpmbook/

>I even tried the tarballs and tried to ' make , ./configure ' and stuff
>like that but I got some hard to comprehend errors :(

First install all the necessary development libraries. These are packages
that have the label -devel appended to their names.

>In old Unices (Hope I spelled it right ;-) )  how were the apps installed?

No idea; but I think it must have been tarballs all the way!

SameerDS.