[ILUG-BOM] Pls suggest some lightweight desktop

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jul 20 01:04:03 IST 2001

Sometime on Jul 19, Nikhil Joshi assembled some asciibets to say:

> On Wednesday 18 July 2001 05:37 pm, Philip S Tellis wrote:
>
> > Add free buffers to free memory to get actual values.  Therefore,
> > your free is 32, not 1.  This makes sense.
>
> Then why my system is using swap file ( 1 MB in this case) if I
> have 32 megs of free memory ?

You have a lot of processes running, though many of them are not active.
They are blocked, waiting for some event to take place.  These have been
written to swap because they are just wasting real RAM.  The real RAM is
now free, so is allocated to buffers and cache, which can very likely
free up your blocked process faster.

Philip

--
Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis