[ILUG-BOM] We don't need no dependencies

Nikhil Joshi nikhiljosh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jul 19 22:17:56 IST 2001

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 07:15 pm, Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

> It is better simply because it is backed by sane,
> strictly enforced policies about creating packages, which is
> compounded by the fact that almost all the .deb come from a single
> source, the Debian project.

Why can't  Red Hat guys have sane and strict policies ?

> Or an even better idea is to download tarballs and then
> create rpm packages out of them before installing.

Sorry I cannot comprehend what you mean . Please enlighten.

P.S.
I even tried the tarballs and tried to ' make , ./configure ' and stuff like that
but I got some hard to comprehend errors :(

Just for curiosity :
In old Unices (Hope I spelled it right ;-) )  how were the apps installed?