[ILUG-BOM] Pls suggest some lightweight desktop

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jul 19 10:05:08 IST 2001

Sometime on Jul 18, rahul saxena assembled some asciibets to say:

> can anyone tell me where can i read about, what buffers are ? are
> they there to act as a link between swp and ram memory spaces?? or

I found some really good explanations by searching on google.
Basically, buffers are used when you have slow I/O devices.  Data is
stored in the buffer while the device catches up with the sending rate.

Cache on the other hand is used when the same data needs to be used over
and over again.  Instead of reading it fro disk everytime, it is stored
in a cache, and read from memory.

Philip

--
You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis