[ILUG-BOM] my take on todays seminar < Ur view is right - But not entirely right >

Kompalli SuryaPrakash neosurya@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 18:34:03 IST 2001

Hi There,
 THIS IS PURELY MY UNDERSTANDING AND MY OPINION. YMMV.
(same disclaimer goes for me)
> RMS talks about freedom not only in the context of
> software, but freedom as a way of life. Freedom to be
        OK True -
> same breath, i hear him vehemently saying, requesting,
> pushing, forcing, psyching people into using only
> GNU/GPL'ed software. Now is HE giving people freedom
        True again - If we forget that everyone can have his own
analysis about what RMS said, and how vehemently he said it - But we
need to remember one FACT - Wotever RMS says - it is an individuals
statement - though because of his public image, it may get magnified -
it is much much lesser (of consequence) than the corporate force being
imposed upon ppl by the firms manufacturing Proprietary S/W.
        RMS saying something in a public meet and asking ppl to leave
something is different form a firm asking all of its' users, developers,
and others concerned to remain mum... Worse is resorting to Legal
measures to ensure that :)
> but thats my opinion. Also my opinion is that its not
> cool to bash one to prove a point.
        Agree with this... But one has to be providing examples to prove
his point!!!
> Freedom for me is when I can choose what I want. Not
> when I am presented with just one option and asked to
> choose !!
        See, the point he wants to make is that when corporates resort
to non-Disclosure agreements, trying to make things incompatible, trying
to raise costs on the basis of patents and limit the reusability of
code - they curb freedom - That Xerox example -  And again - this proves
he wasnt just MS bashing - He was non-free bashing - He even spoke
against Suse - Xerox, Apple were also mentioned....
> I say, use whatever you want. thats freedom.
    That is whatwe need to do!!! Ensure that S/W remains interoperable -
It shud not be that one S/W firm keeps its' stuff secret just to limit
others from using it (the S/W) in a better manner.
Bye,
SP

---