[ILUG-BOM] We don't need no dependencies

S. Krishnan sri_krishnan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 17:53:03 IST 2001

--- Nikhil Joshi <nikhiljosh at runbox.com> wrote:
> The dependency stuff in Linux is really frustrating
> . I mean when I
> download some new software and try to install it ,
> it shows some
> dependency problems.

Actually, the problems are with the RPM system, and
not Linux.  Traditional UNIX software distributions
have always been as zipped tar archives (the files
with .tar.gz and .tgz extenstions).  Those are
starightforward to download and install.

However, Red Hat, in an unfortunate bid to emulate a
major desktop OS manufacturer who I will not name,
created the rpm format, which rolls several functions
into one package.  It is of course an archival/
extraction package, but in addition also tries to
manage some Windows-style registry and version control
functionality.  It is thus overlarge and complicated,
which factors are compounded by it's makers' desire to
make it simple to use.

Red Hat's RPM upgrades have also broken backward
compatibility, which in essence is your problem.

My suggestion to you is therefore to just download the
.tar.gz file of mahogany, or whatever, su to root,
copy it into your /usr/local directory, unzip using
"tar -xvzf <archive_name>", and then compile, or
whatever it is that you have to do to get things
working.  If nothing else, at least it will keep your
life simple!

Rgds,

Krishnan