[ILUG-BOM] We don't need no dependencies

Nikhil Joshi nikhiljosh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 16:02:02 IST 2001

The dependency stuff in Linux is really frustrating . I mean when I
download some new software and try to install it , it shows some
dependency problems. To give you an example recently I downloaded a
a mail client called mahogany which had 2 dependencies. Now I downloaded
the reqd package to solve it. To my surprise that package had 5 unsolved
dependencies !

I gave up the idea thinking that I would be running around in circles.
I had same nightmarish experience when I tried to upgrade rpm 3 to rpm 4
Is there some distribution available which gets over this problem ?
Linux is so well organized in other ways then why this irrational
dependency thing . Why can't developers make standalone software ?