[ILUG-BOM] GNU/Linux (start luv all)

Anand akiyer@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 13:00:16 IST 2001

> hi,
>
> i have just started with linux but i don't know what
> are the various commands and their use so is there any
> good book or some tutorial which will help me.
>
> thanks

Hello Ketan,
First Ketan after Stallman's lecture yesterday, i suppose we have to
start by calling it GNU/Linux.

 >From my experience, I will give you this sound advise:

1. In the initial stages work in GUI.
You will find that all applications work exactly the same way as in
windows which i am sure you are familiar with now. If by chance youcome
to command line, then login giving username and password and give
command startx.
click and explore. Make unashamed use of Netscape, Rhpppd, RHppp
configuration etc.

2. Get the Linux HOW-TO's.
read the how-to's at a snails pace digesting all the applicable How-to's.

3. Whenever you get to a problem with a word that you do not understand
then type man followed by the word that you did not understand. for
example if you do not understand man then type man man.

Over a period of time you will have substantial confidence.

At this stage purchase good books on GNU/Linux (i found Unleashed
helpful), Ibelieve that the current issue of PCQ also has several help
files. I have purchased and am going to read it. Next issue of PCQ is
slated for more GNU/Linux goodies so i won't miss that too.

Don't listen to those masochists who will want you to stick to command
line and learn commands and samba configuration, DHCP config on day 1.
This needs to be done but later.

GNU/Linux isno longer a Geeks software anymore but a common mans tool.

Anand