[ILUG-BOM] OT - stopping CD piracy

Philip S Tellis linuxers@mm.ilug-bom.org.in
Tue Jul 17 23:51:02 2001

Sometime Today, Mayuresh Kulkarni assembled some asciibets to say:

> how do s/w vendors ensure that a customer who buys a CD can use it
> to install the s/w only on his computer and if he takes a CD dump,
> the second CD will be of no use to anybody else?

There is no foolproof way.  All methods tried so far have been cracked.
I haven't seen any software that does this though.  With floppies, there
used to be a few sectors at specific places that were marked.  If the
disk didn't have these sectors, it was considered a copy.  Maybe the
same is done for CDs.

Philip

--
Computers will not be perfected until they can compute how much more
than the estimate the job will cost.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis