[FSUG-Bangalore] Protest for Internet freedom by FSMK - Jun 9th - 5:00 p.m Mysore Bank Circle, Bangalore

VIGNESH PRABHU stove311987 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 07:22:07 EDT 2012

Hi,

There is an attack on Internet Freedom from many quarters – the Ministry of
IT, various state governments and the police and now certain major Internet
Service Providers (ISP's) such as Reliance Communications, Airtel and MTNL.
Major sites such as Vimeo, pastebin and various Torrent sites commonly used
for exchange of large files are being blocked by these ISP's, even though
no instructions have been issued by the Government.

We have already seen the effect of the IT Rules in which a huge number of
requests are now being directed to intermediaries such as Google, Facebook,
etc for taking down statements critical of the Government and political
figures. Cases are being instituted by the Police under the IT Act against
circulating of cartoons, calling it a cyber crime. All this shows that our
democratic freedoms guaranteed under the constitution are currently under
attack.

Equally worrying is the tendency of courts to issue blanket orders* --
called John Doe orders -*- to protect the Intellectual Property of certain
media companies. Reliance Communications, an ISP is acting in the interest
of Reliance as a Media company to block a large number of Torrent sites.

FSMK(http://www.fsmk.org) is protesting for the internet freedom especially
to add more emphasis against the John Doe orders, to bring attention to the
Chennai court ruling in case of the petition by Copyright Labs and
arbitrary block by Reliance and other ISPs.

So please join us in protesting against the various attacks on the freedom
of internet.

*Date & Venue*:

5:00 pm, June 9th, Saturday at Mysore Bank Circle, Bangalore

*More info*:

>>To understand more about "John Doe" orders, please go through the
following link,

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/nation/a-ludicrous-ban

>>You can find the details to the previous protest by FSMK against internet
censorship here,

http://www.fsmk.org/node/100

>>Protest at other cities associated with FSMK,
(1)* *In *Hyderabad, Swecha* will organize at* PEOPLES PLAZA, NACKLES
ROAD<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=People%27s+Plaza,+Necklace+Road,+Hyderabad,+Andhra+Pradesh,+India&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.871902,79.013672&oq=peoples+plaza+&hq=People%27s+Plaza,&hnear=Necklace+Rd,+Hyderabad,+Andhra+Pradesh,+India&t=h&z=14>
* from 4-00p.m to 8-00p.m

(2) In *Chennai, FSFTN* will organize at  *BESANT NAGAR BEACH,
CHENNAI*<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Besant+Nagar+Beach,+in+chennai&hl=en&ll=13.000209,80.259247&spn=0.085471,0.169086&sll=36.879621,-79.365234&sspn=37.917271,86.572266&hq=Besant+Nagar+Beach,&hnear=Chennai,+Tamil+Nadu,+India&t=h&z=13>from
4-00pm to 6-00 pm.
>>About other protesting groups

June 9th a call has been given by various other groups as well. Many of
them are asking are we supporting them?
We are supporting the issues related to internet freedom. We are not
currently organizing a joint protest with any other group. We have been
working on this issue in the past and were one of the organizations to
ensure a debate in Parliament on this issue. Lot of young people are being
drawn to these issues as they are valid. FSMK would also like to underline
the validity of these issues.

Jayakumar
9620464215
Secretary, FSMK
http://www.fsmk.org

Groups "NHCE GLUG" group.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.co.in/group/nhce_glug?hl=en-GB

PROUD TO BE A NEW HORIZONITE AND GNU-LINUX USER

Vignesh
Software Engineer

http://2paisasbyviggy.wordpress.com/
http://fsmk.org