[FSUG-Bangalore] Download

justin joseph justinjoseph007 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 08:43:58 IST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Muneer <muneerch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wish if there was a solution if my laptop would automatically turn on at
>> 2am and start downloading the stuffs which i have placed in the
>> queue/scheduler of the download manager and stop downloading at 8am and
>> turn
>> off automatically.
>
> Please be aware that BSNL has a flaw in its timer to calculate the free
> download time. modem authentication time is used to determine whether you
> are using "free" time or not. For example, assuming that modem is always on
> and if your modem got authenticated at 1:59 AM, and your download starts at
> 2:05AM, you are in NON free time zone till the re-authentication happens for
> the modem. i.e. if your modem is re-authenticated at 2:29AM, whatever you
> have downloaded from 2:05AM till 2:39 is chargeable because this period is
> authenticated before 2AM.
> Restarting the modem after 2AM will solve this issue. So in addition to
> scheduling the download job at 2AM, somebody can advice on how to restart
> modem using a software after 2AM.

muneer, maybe this was a problem in the past. but 'am assuming that
the issue has
been resolved.  My modem is in bridged mode and I have a dedicated PC
as firewall/
gateway/dailer.  This PC is never shut down, unless absolutely
necessary with uptimes
averaging couple of months.  With monthly downloads averaging above
the permitted
limits, I would have had to pay more than the normal bills.  And in
any case many people
would have been effected.

But this could have been a bug previously, years back.