[FSUG-Bangalore] Download

Muneer muneerch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 22:16:43 IST 2010

> I wish if there was a solution if my laptop would automatically turn on at
> 2am and start downloading the stuffs which i have placed in the
> queue/scheduler of the download manager and stop downloading at 8am and
turn
> off automatically.

Please be aware that BSNL has a flaw in its timer to calculate the free
download time. modem authentication time is used to determine whether you
are using "free" time or not. For example, assuming that modem is always on
and if your modem got authenticated at 1:59 AM, and your download starts at
2:05AM, you are in NON free time zone till the re-authentication happens for
the modem. i.e. if your modem is re-authenticated at 2:29AM, whatever you
have downloaded from 2:05AM till 2:39 is chargeable because this period is
authenticated before 2AM.

Restarting the modem after 2AM will solve this issue. So in addition to
scheduling the download job at 2AM, somebody can advice on how to restart
modem using a software after 2AM.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM, justin joseph <justinjoseph007 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Codename062 George
> <codename062 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all i have an internet connection with speed 4Mbps and my plan is
> > offering free unlimited download from 2AM to 8AM but with a monthly limit
> of
> > 2.5GB.
> > Usually i download more than 50GB a month by not sleeping in the night.
> But
> > nowdays i feel tired in the night and has to wake up early morning. But
> this
> > week i have to download a lot especially the distros which may be as
> large
> > as 4.5GB each.
> >
> > I wish if there was a solution if my laptop would automatically turn on
> at
> > 2am and start downloading the stuffs which i have placed in the
> > queue/scheduler of the download manager and stop downloading at 8am and
> turn
> > off automatically.
> >

> I don't think the solution involves turning on the laptop at 2 am and
> turning off at 8 a.m
>
> The below is one way to do what you have in mind:
>
> justin at thinkpad:~/powertop/powertop$ crontab -l
> # m h  dom mon dow   command
> #15 2 * * * wget -P /home/justin/debian_squeeze -c
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_alpha1/i386/iso-dvd/debian-testing-i386-DVD-3.iso
> #15 3 * * * youtube-dl -b -c -o /home/justin/cycle_tourdefr.flv
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcKzzB-eF0
> #15 2 * * * wget -P /home/justin/gregkh -c
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/media/talks/gregkh/2008_driver_writing_tutorial_gregkh.avi
> #00 8 * * * killall wget
> justin at thinkpad:~/powertop/powertop$

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever